Saturday, October 25, 2008

Chinese Popular Media

I had been searching for Chinese popular media such as fashion magazines...Marie Claire and Good Housekeeping, for example, both have Chinese editions. And then I was searching for Chinese soap operas online at Youtube, etc... What I found instead was some very cool music.

Here are two versions of the same song(在那遙遠的地方), one is a duet sung by Han Hong and Hao Ge (from Liberia?) and the other by Wang Leehom (王力宏, Chinese-American). Over the years, a gazillion Chinese and non-Chinese people have sang this beautiful song. Wang Leehom was my aunt's classmate at Williams college just up the hill! In my humble opinion, Wang Leehom's version is one of the best. :-) I'm in the process of learning the lyrics to the original song.





Want more music? This very cool site has the lyrics for many Chinese pop songs (and non-pop too I think) in pinyin and hanzi and when you roll over the characters you get an English translation! Aaaand...the mp3s for each song are also available to download for free. What more could you ask for?

By the way, if anyone wants to jointly purchase a Chinese magazine subscription with me, please let me know. They are crazy expensive by themselves but if we bought a subscription among say 10 people then it would be just 12 or 20 dollars (depending on which magazine it was) per person. :-)

Additional note: 10/27/08

Here's another...

No comments: